Isabelle is Transgender

by - February 22, 2024


I'm Transgender.

I finally admitted this to myself out loud. And it is absolutely, fucking terrifying, like nothing I have ever known. The fear emanates from the pit of my stomach constantly, threatening to burst open from my ribcage like a chestburster from the Alien movies. Except there is no dramatic bursting from the chest and the fear continues. I still remember Em-Chan's profile stating how she was also "f***ing scared" when she realised she was Transgender in 2019. Never in my mind did it strike me that my turn would come. 

Perhaps some of the readers here saw it from a mile away. Some may say, "See, I knew she was going to transition". For the latter, please keep your opinions to yourself. Insisting that someone is an "egg" when a person is still questioning and struggling with gender identity is forcing a person into a mould and extremely unhelpful. Remember, breaking eggs from the outside harms the cute little birdy inside. The little birdy needs to break out of its egg by itself. 

I suppose I always knew deep down that I wanted to be female, but never allowed myself to consider that living as one was an option. I never let myself think of the possibility of undergoing hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and transitioning to become a woman eventually, because it was too damn hard and I was sort of ok with my male life? But a seed of a thought became the embers that started this blazing inferno; "Since I don't want more children and fertility isn't a must for me anymore, what happens if I took some hormones to make myself more feminine?". And this random musing led me to dig deep on my main reasons for crossdressing and down the rabbit hole. Googling the effects of taking estrogen as part of HRT also made me feel like...maybe I want this after all. Seeing my reflection in the mirror and my fast disappearing hairline was a continuous trigger of dysphoria that I've managed to shove aside in the past, but was finally coming apart at the seams. The feeling that my ability to present female would soon be lost forever, that I was going to ride off a cliff's edge and look like a bald, middle-aged man for the rest of my life created an intense, unbearable pressure on my being. Joining a discord group full of transgender folk also did not help. Before I knew it, the random thoughts became a serious consideration to transition, living as my male-self at work and my female-self at home (or vice versa actually, based on the latest situation).

The thought process went something like this. Maybe I could stay on a course of estrogen without letting my family or colleagues know and I could eventually have a body that was more female. Maybe the estrogen and testosterone blockers will finally stop my male pattern hair loss and even help some of my hair grow back. Ooooo, softer skin from taking estrogen? Sign me up! Wait but this is a serious decision that requires some thoughtful consideration. Oh but remember the lingerie advertisement you saw on Instagram where the model filled up the cups so nicely? That could be me! But seriously. I'm in my mid-30s, looking like an uncle most of the time with a receding hairline and I'm thinking of transitioning? I must be out of my bloody fucking mind. I'm not going to look like the girls I follow on Instagram. It's more likely that I end up looking like a weirdly feminine version of my current male self, in a gender limbo. Why do I want to crank life's difficulty to "extra hard"? (this is the logical side of my brain screaming at myself not to proceed). But the other logical half of my brain tells me that the changes are gradual and can be managed. There's no harm in giving it a try for a while and if necessary I can always try to hide the more obvious changes in certain ways. And hand on heart, I really do feel like I want to be female and seen as want. My brain was vacillating between "yes transition" and "no transition" at such speeds it was giving me mental whiplash. I had to stop myself, try to push the thoughts away and distract myself with work/kid. But this time was different. The floodgates had opened, the toothpaste was out of the tube. My metaphorical egg had cracked and the yolk was making a goddamn mess everywhere.  

To manage my thoughts I tried to lay out all my fears and by golly there were so many. 


Fear number 1 - My Wife 
My biggest fears concerned my wife. How was my wife was going to take this? This wasn't what she signed up for when she inked our marriage certificate. And when I first came out to her about my female alter-ego, I told her that I was not going to transition. If she rejects, will I decide to just live as I am now with an increasing nagging inner voice that I'm always incomplete? If she accepts it and doesn't decide to leave me now, will she leave me in the future? How am I going to be the "man" in her life? How is our sex life going to be impacted if I can't even get the "little brother" up? How could I be so unfair to her, choosing to live life on hard difficulty and expecting her to support me through this decision?

[At the point of posting this, I had already told my wife of my revelation that I was transgender and was considering HRT. She told me that while she doesn't fully understand my gender dysphoria and the implications of HRT, she will support me in my decision. Since then, we've had our share of ups and downs, which I am not yet ready to share. Things are ok for now, but it is still early days and the full impact has yet to come. We did recognise that moving forward, this will change our relationship, and irreversibly so. I feel like there is no one else that I should or need to care about this massive decision other than my wife's. But transitioning is not so simple, so there is a lot more communication to be done. Although it absolutely breaks my heart into many pieces to even think of it, to be fair to her, if she wants to press the exit button down the line, it is not something I will resist.  We still have love for each other, but whether we still stay together in the longer term is yet to be seen.]


Fear number 2 - My Family
Transitioning will be a massive shock to my parents who have zero clue that their son actually wants to be a woman.

First up, there is the logistics of hiding all the changes from them in the initial stages. I foresee that in year 1 and 2 it will not be too difficult but beyond that, how am I going to hide the physical changes from my family, especially two prominent changes appearing on my chests? While I can potentially bind my chest when I am at work and wear thicker shirts, my parents are likely to wonder about things, especially my dad who is quite perceptive. I also plan to grow out my hair, which will get a lot of questions on why I am looking unkempt. While the excuse of wanting to sport a manbun might cut it (barely), it will get repeated commentary and raised eyebrows.

At some point I will need to come out to them, which goes on to part 2; managing the fallout. Will my parents be disappointed? Will they feel like they have failed as parents? Will they think that I have lost my mind? Throw into the mix Asian expectations of me being the eldest son of the eldest son. Although it might be very difficult for my dad to accept this change, he has recently expressed that we should take action so we do not regret things in life, so I think I can explain to my dad logically my reasons for doing so. It is a coin toss though, since he is quite the traditional Asian father. As for my mother, an extremely devout Catholic whose life revolves around church, I can already imagine her going into shock and plunging deeper into church life, hoping to pray it all away. Doesn't help that the Catholic faith does not view LGBTQ folk and activities in a positive light. I also see her occasionally harbouring some anti-LGBTQ views, though knowing her, there is a lot of blind belief in that area. She is oddly strong in certain circumstances, but also emotionally fragile in others, so once again it is another coin toss on what the outcome will be.

I know some transgender folk are like "If they don't accept, f*** family", but I think this is not for me. I have a good relationship with my parents which I want to maintain. So I need to do my best to help my them accept that I am still their son, even though appearances wise I will look less and less like one. 

I can imagine how family gatherings will change in the future. Perhaps I will be the transgender family black sheep, the pariah who is automatically "uninvited" to all future events. Honestly I don't care if they don't want me around, but I'm more concerned about the hurtful words that they might say to my parents. I've set myself a goal that if I present as female, I will do what I need to in order to be my best self, and as undeniably female as I can be, to reduce buyer's remorse. 
[Post note: I have been told that such thoughts are very common in baby-trans. To be pretty so that people will not judge. But the reality is that society doesn't care. If they have it in their mind a negative perception, there will always be some imperfection that clocks you as "Male" that cannot be magicked away.]


Fear number 3 - My Work & Financials
Supporting myself is also a big issue. How is this decision going to impact my work? While I don't think I will lose my job as a result of this choice, the organisation I am currently working in is quite...traditional. There are also quite a fair number of Muslims and Christians, so views of transgender folk are likely slanted to the negative. While I plan to present male in my professional life for as long as I can, there might be a point where I am no longer able to hide the physical changes, or my views may change and I want to present as female. How will it affect the way I perform in the office? Deciding to transition will definitely slow promotions or close off certain job roles, since having a transgender leader might cause some discontent in the ranks. Bosses tend to also be of the older generation, so they may not want to work with someone deemed as "不男不女 (neither man nor woman)". 

I think I have enough money saved to last a while, but in terms of transferrable skills or networks that makes me a choice hire regardless of my gender, well that is uncertain. I do worry that my decision to live as someone true to my heart will screw up my finances in the long term and jeopardise the rest of my family. This decision could very well be the costliest decision of my life, and I'm not even factoring in the impending medical expenses and surgeries that I may have.

On the bright side, this has lit a fire under me. In 2 to 3 years, the changes will be difficult to hide, meaning that if I want to present female professionally, I need to make the necessary moves to change to a job or organisatiom that is more progressive. This means that whatever skills I need to pick up, I will need to do so now.


Fear number 4 - My Health 
While medicine continuously improves, medical science on transgender issues are lagging by a good number of years. This is simply economics; there isn't significant money to be made in researching transgender related medical issues because the population is too small.

Being on HRT for transwomen means taking estrogen and anti-androgens for life, and like any other drug, taking it regularly and over long periods does result in increased risk. A poor hormone balance results in increased risk of osteoporosis, and nobody really wants that. Another known risk of taking estrogen orally is an increased risk of stroke or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DBT), as well as greater stress on the liver due to the need to process the hormones, causing endocrinologists to be more conservative when prescribing hormones. While understandable, this leads to some gatekeeping by medical professionals. But the more fundamental issue is this. If I do this long term, would it really lead to poorer quality of life due to health issues when I am in my later years? (Uncertain. I need to read up more on this topic. So far it seems that the benefits of transitioning outweighs the costs). 

The other worry is insurance. The stance by insurance companies is unclear and can be quite varied. While some transfolk have made medical claims without too many issues, others have reported that their insurance policies were voided, despite having paid for YEARS. While it is understandable that there is now a potential increased chance of claim (due to say, higher risk of breast cancer for transwomen), this is really quite bullshit. People don't get their insurance voided for suddenly picking up smoking or drinking like a whale. Having this uncertainty with regards to insurance isn't great.


Fear number 5 - I will never pass
When I doll up, I don't look too shabby. But it takes time and the reality is that some of my features are quite masculine. My nose is larger that most women and my jaw is just a bit broader/longer in a guy kind of way. HRT might help by distributing fats and reducing muscle, but even if I decide to be a bit extreme and go for FFS, there are some parts of me that will be distinctively male. My hands and feet are both quite large/manly for my height, and I have a strong-ish looking back, so these will be immediate giveaway. 

But my biggest worry is my hairline. Unfortunately, the genetic gods have not been kind and my hairline has receded quite a bit for someone in his 30s, so it is a moonshot if my hairline grows back (I really, desperately hope it does). I am even prepared to spend stupid amounts of money and go through the pain of transplanting hair if it is necessary to restore my crowning glory. I'm not sure how successful such transplanting will be, but desperate times will call for desperate measures. 
[At the time of posting this, I am already on a regular dose of finesteride and gone for hair transplant surgery. So far the results are pretty good, although future hair transplants are necessary to give me a more rounded hairline]

As much as people say that women should not be overly concerned about their appearances, pretty privilege is a reality. People treat you better, or in the case of transgender folk, people feel a smaller amount of aversion. It reopens doors that would otherwise be shut. Transgender folk really cannot be faulted for obsessing over their appearance, because it is the difference between greater societal acceptance vs rejection, between being able to stealth vs constantly being clocked.


Fear number 6 - How deep does the rabbit hole go
A decade ago, I told myself that I would stay in the closet for life. 5 years ago I tried makeup and started going out in public. At that time I told myself that I would be happy to just crossdress occasionally and have no plans to transition. At the point of writing this post, I have decided to go all in and transition into a woman. It is absolutely shocking how my views have changed over the years (or perhaps, I always knew what I wanted but was too successful in convincing myself otherwise).

So the question remains unanswered. How far does the rabbit hole go? Will I want to change my name legally to Isabelle? Will I subject myself to facial feminisation surgery? Will there come a point where I want bottom surgery and change my legal gender, requiring me to void my marriage to my wife of many years? I'm quite sure that I don't want SRS, but in 3 to 5 years time will I have a different point of view? There is really no definitive answer.


Concluding thoughts
For crossdressers reading this blog who have an undercurrent of transgender and are in need of a push, here's a must read post on Reddit written by an aged transwoman who lived a textbook "good life" as a guy and suppressed her desire to be female, but when she discovered she had terminal cancer in her late-50s, she was overwhelmed with regret. And here's me. Wishing that I was daring enough to take the plunge years ago. We make our choices, we live with the consequences. No more regrets.

I suppose the name of this blog needs to change after this post. Isabelle is Transgender. 

I'm Transgender.

<Note: This post was written just under 1 year ago, but published later, as I was not ready to come out on this blog>

You May Also Like

2 Comments

  1. Isabelle no longer dreaming. Welcome to the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same thought too when I was in my 30s.....a little regret that I wasn't bold enough....coming to my 50 and I don't think I am able to do it now :-(

    ReplyDelete