Moving out from my safe haven and back with my parents

by - October 22, 2023

(Yes, I'm a beardy man almost all of the time, No, I sadly do not have glorious hair like him)

This post is more of a life status update rather than dressing up as Isabelle, but I've been putting out so little content on my blog I'm feeling ashamed from the neglect. I rarely dress up these days because life gets in the way, and with the latest events I find my free time and energy dwindling to a trickle. Such is the life of a working parent in Singapore.

After living in my current place for 5+ years, the wife and I decided that it was time to sell the place. While we do love our 3-room flat, its status as a weekend home after our kid came out made us reconsider our needs. We wanted to move nearer my parents so that we could stop "booking-out" from my parents' home on Fridays to stay at our own place on weekends and "booking-in" on Sundays. The back and forth travelling finally wore us down after years of doing so. With home prices at all time highs, we decided it was an opportune time to cash out and wait for a good unit to be listed on the market. After multiple viewings by prospective buyers over a 4 month period, we finally had an offer and inked the sale.

So I am now in the middle of throwing, sorting and packing my stuff into boxes. And damn, do I have a lot of crap for a 3-room flat. People, stop buying stuff on whim that you don't need. They just take up space and collect dust, only for you to throw it out when you move out of your house. I made a promise to myself that I will keep myself in check, even if I have a bigger space (heck no. ESPECIALLY if I have a bigger space).

I won't be able to dress up as Isabelle until I get my own place, so all her stuff had to be put into cold store once again (the last time was just before my kid was born). Through packing, I realised that I bought way too many things over the years. After picking out 20 outfits to give away, I still had 1 full suitcase and 2 vacuum bags (70cm x 45cm) squeezed to the brim. I'm proud to say that since my last blog post, I've not bought a single item for Isabelle. Let's see how long I can keep that up.

There's a tinge of sadness about moving out from the place I've called home for more than half a decade. After all, it was the warm, cozy abode where we rested and relaxed. We had fantastic, friendly neighbours that made the living environment even better. Home was the safe haven where Isabelle could doll up each time without worry of judgement, which allowed her to gradually blossom. But this is life. We savour moments past, both happy and sad, before moving on to the next phase of life, hoping with a tinge of excitement in our hearts that change would bring us joy and more memories to come. 

You May Also Like

0 Comments